Don't be overwhelmed by the thought of having to use the boil-and-bite method on your snoring mouthpiece to achieve a good fit. Some people are so scared that they will ruin it that they don't order one or they send it back upon arrival.
You are not going to mess it up. SleepTight Mouthpiece can be reheated to complete the fitting process up to four or five times, so if you don't get it right the first time, you can try again.
You will need a pot to boil water, a bowl or mug, and a timer to fit your SleepTight Mouthpiece.
- Use the directions to insert the airway plug properly.
- Boil a pot of hot water.
- Pour some of the boiling water into a bowl, and allow it to cool for about 60 seconds.
- Submerge the mouthpiece in the hot water for three minutes. It will float, so you may need to use a spoon to push it under the surface of the water.
- Remove it from the hot water and check to see if any of the edges have folded over. If they have, make sure they are straightened before proceeding. Also, check that the airway plug is still securely in place.
- Identify the top of the mouthpiece. The V-notch will be at the top.
- Place the mouthpiece on your lower teeth first and bite down.
- Move your lower jaw slightly forward and bite down so the upper jaw is now being molded by the mouthpiece. Press against your cheeks on the outside and press the mouthpiece with your tongue inside to make sure the impression is as tailored to your mouth as possible.
- Continue biting down until the mouthpiece cools to room temperature.
- Submerge in cold water to help harden the material faster.
- Remove the airway plug and test the fit. If necessary start the process over.
Learn more about the SleepTight mouthpiece in my SleepTight review.
Learn about the SleepTight inventor and his background.