August 2018 Update: SnoreMate is now an outdated product and does not appear to have an active business.
If you are unfamiliar with the boil-and-bite technique that is used to custom fit your SnoreMate it can seem a little intimidating. Some people avoid purchasing a snoring mouthpiece that needs to be fitted before use because they are scared they will ruin it. If this sounds like you, you can take comfort in knowing that these devices can be reheated a few times. So, don’t stress, if you don’t get the fit correct right away. All you need is a pot, two bowls, and some type of timer.
- Heat a pot of water to a boil, and then pour into a bowl.
- Using the connected plastic tab as a handle, submerge the device into the water for 12 seconds. The heat and water soften the material.
- Shake excess water off the mouthpiece after removing it from the bowl.
- Identify the word “Top” on the tab to make sure you are holding it the right way.
- As you place the device in your mouth extend the jaw forward. When you are sure your jaw is in a forward position, bite down firmly into the softened material. You want your lower jaw forward enough to make a difference, but not so far that it is already uncomfortable.
- Use your fingers to press the material tight against your teeth, so you can get a thorough impression.
- After a few seconds, remove it from your mouth, and place it in a bowl of ice water. The cold temperature will harden the material faster to save the impression of your mouth.
Check the fit right away. If it is not right begin the process again from the start. If it feels right you may be tempted to cut away that tab. Try to resist the urge to do that quite yet. After you have used it one or two nights, you may find that you need the lower jaw extended more or less. You will be grateful you did not cut the tab away yet. Once you are sure it is a good fit go ahead and cut the tab off.
Always store your SnoreMate in the case it comes with for protection and to keep it clean. Speaking of cleaning, this should be done after every use. SnoreMate is easily cleaned using toothpaste or mouthwash.
Watch this video for instructions on SnoreMate