Best New Essential Oils to Treat Snoring
Essential oils are an increasingly popular way to treat many common ailments naturally.
From stress to insomnia, essential oils provide relief. And for those who suffer from snoring, there are several essential oils known to help.
What are essential oils?
Essential oils are extracted from plants, containing the “essence” of the plant’s fragrance. This means they are devoid of any chemical additives, making them a safer choice for creating fragrances for freshening up an area, clothing, cleaning supplies, or treating physical ailments.
Can essential oils stop snoring?
Research suggests essential oils can help to treat snoring. The Royal Shrewsbury Hospital, in Shrewsbury England, conducted a study on the impact of essential oils on snorers. A whopping 82% of patients using essential oils had partners report a reduction in snoring.
How do I use essential oils?
There are several ways to use an essential oil:
- Apply the oil to the base of your foot. The soles of your feet are less likely to experience sensitivity or irritation than other parts of your body. If you do this, you’ll need to mix the essential oil with a carrier oil such as almond, olive or jojoba. Apply it to your neck or chest or dab a little beneath your nose if you want to inhale the fragrance.
- Diffuse the oil. There are many options for diffusers, from burning the oil with a candle, to an electronic appliance.
- Steam the oil. Quite possibly the most simple way is to boil water, add it to a bowl, and add drops of the oil to the bowl. Put a towel over your head and the bowl, and inhale for approximately five minutes.
- Add a few drops to some lava beads. The beads are porous and absorb the oil. Wear the beads in a bracelet or necklace and the contact with your skin will keep the oil fragrant and effective throughout the night.
- Gargle using your favorite essential oil before going to sleep. Add a couple of drops to a glass of warm water and gargle. Be careful not to swallow the solution.
Try the following essential oils to find a remedy that will help reduce your snoring.
Congestion is a primary cause of snoring. Eucalyptus is known to clear your air passage and decongest your nasal system, and it can be an excellent choice to help reduce or eliminate your snoring.
Other common uses for eucalyptus include helping clear a cold or providing a boost of energy. The best way to use this oil is to steam and inhale it. You’ll love the fresh, cool scent as well!
Marjoram is another essential oil that helps clear out your airway. A short session with a diffuser on, steaming it, or rubbing a mixture on your feet will help you get a good night’s rest.
Thyme is known to be a great cure for snoring due to its ability to help relieve respiratory issues, promote immunity, and treat muscular and joint pain.
Pair thyme with a carrier oil and apply it to the soles of your feet before you go to sleep. Rubbing it on your big toes will also help as they’re known in reflexology to affect the neck area.
Spearmint helps clear the airway and promotes natural breathing. Either use the essential oil or add spearmint herb to a non-caffeinated tea for a relaxing beverage immediately before getting into bed.
Another herb that can also be added to food or drinks to help with snoring, sage is known to treat indigestion. Either add it to tea or a snack or purchase the essential oil and burn it in your diffuser right before you go to sleep. It’s known to reduce stress as well, so you might find an enhanced benefit while consuming sage.
Like spearmint and eucalyptus, the menthol attribute of peppermint helps to open the airway and promote natural breathing. Use the herb to add to tea or water or burn some essential oil in your diffuser. Peppermint can help an upset stomach too.
Lavender is soothing and helps you sleep. Try steaming and inhaling, burning in a diffuser, or combining it with a carrier oil and putting it on your feet before bed. Spray a lavender solution on your pillow before dozing off for a night of sweet dreams!
Try This Anti-Snoring Essential Oil Recipe:
Mix three drops each of lavender, thyme, and cedar essential oil with seven drops of olive oil. Apply to the bottom of the feet or your chest before going to bed for a restful night’s sleep.